This information was sourced from the Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan
Read the full entry at the Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan website
During the 1940s and 1950s, the focus of visual art in Saskatoon was the Saskatoon Art Centre, established in 1944 and located in the Standard Trust Building before moving to the King George Hotel in 1949. This organization hosted touring exhibitions of art and arranged shows of local artists. In 1960, Saskatoon businessman and art collector Fred Mendel approached Mayor Sidney L. Buckwold to initiate discussions for the creation of a new civic art gallery which would provide a permanent home for the Saskatoon Art Centre. Subsequently, Mendel donated $175,000 to build such a gallery, and the amount was matched by the provincial government and augmented by assistance from the municipal government.
Continue reading the full entry at the Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan website